Support: System Software Updates
PlayStation®Vita System Software Version 2.05
Other new or revised features in version 2.05
PlayStation®Plus is now supported.PlayStation®Plus is a subscription service package that provides a number of added features to PlayStation®Network. As a PlayStation®Plus member, you can enjoy special pricing on some content, automatic downloads of game and system software update data and other added features.
- For details on PlayStation®Plus, click here
You can purchase a PlayStation®Plus subscription service membership from PlayStation®Store, in the same way you purchase other items. Upon purchase of a PlayStation®Plus subscription, the (PlayStation®Plus) icon will be displayed next to your avatar on your profile screen, as well as with features or PlayStation®Store content exclusive to PlayStation®Plus.
- Services offered by PlayStation®Plus vary by country and region.
- When you have an account with a PlayStation®Plus subscription on a PS3™ system and that account is also linked to a PS Vita system, you are automatically considered to have a PlayStation®Plus subscription on your PS Vita system.
Copying saved data to the PlayStation®Network servers
With a PlayStation®Plus subscription, saved data for games you played on a PS Vita system can be copied to the PlayStation®Network servers. Connect to the Internet using Wi-Fi on your PS Vita system and copy the saved data. You must be within the range of a usable Wi-Fi access point.
1. Tap (Content Manager) > [Start].
2. Tap (Online Storage).
3. Tap [Online Storage -> PS Vita System] or [ PS Vita System -> Online Storage].
4. Tap a checkbox to set a checkmark for the saved data you want to copy, and then tap [Copy].
Using automatic update features
With a PlayStation®Plus subscription, the update files for applications or system software are automatically downloaded, and your trophy information is automatically synchronized with the PlayStation®Network servers. Also, the saved data of the selected game title is automatically uploaded to the PlayStation®Network servers when the data is updated.
You must tap the (Settings) > [Start] > [PlayStation®Network] > [Automatic Update Settings] > [Update Automatically] checkbox to set a checkmark.
- To upload saved data automatically, you must set up saved data for each application. In step 4 of "Copying saved data to the PlayStation®Network servers", tap (Information), and then tap the [Upload Automatically] checkbox to set a checkmark.
- Some services require that your PS Vita system is connected to the Internet using a Wi-Fi connection to update automatically.
Using Pointer to open links
You can now use a pointer to open links.
Display a pointer by touching the screen and holding either the L button or R button down. Move the pointer over to the link you want to open, and then release your finger.
- To enable operation with a pointer, you must tap (Options) > [Settings] > [Use Pointer] checkbox to set a checkmark.
Transfer data using Wi-Fi
You can now transfer data by connecting to a computer using Wi-Fi on your PS Vita system. Connect a computer (Windows®/Mac) to an access point. Your PS Vita system uses a Wi-Fi connection to the access point to connect to the computer. The PS Vita system and the computer must be connected within the same network.
Registering your PS Vita system with the computer
When you use this feature for the first time, you must register your PS Vita system with the computer. Perform this procedure with your PS Vita system near the access point.
1. In the Content Manager Assistant, enable [Connect to PS Vita System Using Wi-Fi] under [Wi-Fi Connection Settings].
2. Tap (Content Manager) > [Start] on your PS Vita system.
3. Tap (PC) > (Wi-Fi) > [Add Device]. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation. A list of computers that can be connected will be displayed.
4. Tap the computer you want to connect to your PS Vita system.On the computer screen, a number necessary to register the computer will be displayed.
5. Enter the number displayed on the computer screen into your PS Vita system and then tap [Register].After the computer is registered, tap [Next] to transfer data between the PS Vita system and the computer.
You can transfer data when a computer and your PS Vita system are within the range of an access point. Perform this procedure with your PS Vita system near the access point.
1. Tap (Content Manager) > [Start] on your PS Vita system.
2. Tap (PC) > (Wi-Fi).A list of registered computers will be displayed.
3. Tap the name of the computer you want to connect to your PS Vita system. When the computer connects successfully, the following screen appears. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation.
Copying the entire folder
You can now copy the entire folder to your PS Vita system when you are managing photos and video in a folder on your PS3™ system or on your computer.
On the screen for selecting content, tap [Cancel] > (Back), and then tap (Folders) > (Options) > [Copy]. Select the checkboxes of the folders you want to copy, and then tap [Copy].
- When there is a folder inside a folder to copy, a child folder is created on the PS Vita System and its contents are copied to a folder inside the parent folder.
- When content is selected from a folder and copied to a PS Vita system, a folder with an identical name will be created.
- An entire folder that was copied to a PS Vita system cannot be copied back to a PS3™ system or a computer.
Displaying weather information
You can now display weather information on the map for areas where it is available. With a map displayed, tap the (Options) > [Settings] > [Weather Information] > [Display Weather Information] checkbox to set a checkmark to enable the setting.
(Email) application has been added. You can start the application from the home screen.With the Email application, send, receive and browse email messages using the email account you use on your computer or other devices. You can use Gmail™ (Email service by Google), Yahoo! Mail, and other general email accounts supporting IMAP or POP.
Adding an email account
Add your email account to your PS Vita system.
1. Tap (Email) > [Start].
2. Tap [Add Email Account].
3. Tap the email service you are using.
4. Enter the required information and tap [OK].When you complete adding your email account, a list of folders appears.
- The information you are required to enter varies depending on the email service you use.
- For details about email account information, contact your email service provider.
- Tap (Options) > [Settings] > [Advanced Settings] to edit the information you entered.
Receiving and reading a message
Up to the 25 of the latest email messages on a server are displayed when you tap (Inbox). Received messages are temporarily saved on your PS Vita system. When your Inbox is full, the system automatically deletes the oldest message each time a new message is received.
A) (Refresh)Tap to receive new messages.
B) MessageTap to open the message.
C) (Search)Tap to search for messages in a folder. You can narrow your search by selecting a search category such as [From] and [Subject].
D) MoreScroll down to the bottom of the page and tap [More] to display the 25 previous messages.
E) (New Message Notification)This icon appears with new messages.
- If the message size is large, the PS Vita system may not receive the message. Also when an attached file size is too large, only body text might be received.
- When languages not supported by the PS Vita system are used in the body of a message, the text may be displayed incorrectly.
- Email messages in HTML format are not supported.
Sending a message
To send a message, tap (Create Message), enter the required information, and then tap [Send].
A) Recipient typeTap to select [To], [CC], or [BCC].
B) Recipient fieldTap to enter an email address manually.
C) (Contact List)Tap to select an email address from your contact list.
D) (Add a recipient) / (Delete a recipient) / Tap to add or delete a recipient field.
E) SenderIf you have added more than one email account, you can tap here to change to another email account.
G) (Attach a file)Tap to use the PS Vita camera to take a photo, or attach an image saved under (Photos). Tap the attached images to view or delete them.
H) BodyUp to 4096 characters can be entered.
. The number of messages that you can send at one time varies depending on the email service you use.
Adding a contact
Tap (Contact List) > (Options) > [Add Contact], enter a name and email address, and then tap [OK]. The system can store up to 5,000 contacts.
- When a message is displayed, you can tap [Name
] to add that name to your contact list.
Setting up the notification alerts
You can now set how you will be notified separately for each application and feature.
Tap the (Settings) > [Start] > [Notifications] > [Enable Notification Alerts] checkbox to set a checkmark, and then tap the application or feature to set up the following.
|Show on Screen||A notification message appears on the upper right of the screen|
|Light Up PS Button||The PS button slowly blinks in blue||Play Sound||The system makes a sound|
To disable notification alerts for all the applications, tap the [Enable Notification Alerts] checkbox to remove the checkmark. Even if this feature is disabled, you can check the new notifications by tapping the notification indicator.
Controlling with buttons on the system
The number of applications you can control using the buttons on the PS Vita system has been increased.You can now control following applications.
- (Group Messaging)
Other new or revised features in version 2.00
Assign Touchscreen (PlayStation® format software)
[Assign Touchscreen] has been added as a feature under [Controller Settings] in the PlayStation® format software menu.
You can assign controller buttons of the PlayStation® system to the four corners of the screen. When PlayStation® format software is running, touch and hold the screen to display the menu, and then tap [Controller Settings] > [Assign Touchscreen]. Assign buttons by following the on-screen instructions and tap [OK].
Assign Rear Touch Pad (PlayStation® format software)
[Assign Rear Touch Pad] has been added as a feature under [Controller Settings] in the PlayStation® format software menu.
You can assign the rear touch pad to act like buttons on a controller for the PlayStation® system. Select the left half to assign the L1 button/L2 button/L3 button, and select the right half to assign the R1 button/R2 button/R3 button.
Rear view of the system:
When PlayStation® format software is running, touch and hold the screen to display the menu, and then tap [Controller Settings] > [Assign Rear Touch Pad]. Assign buttons by following the on-screen instructions and tap [OK].
- Note that any settings for [Assign Rear Touch Pad] will override the settings for [Standard] under [Controller Settings] > [Assign Buttons].
Adding [Custom] to Screen Mode (PlayStation® format software)
[Custom] has been added as an option under [Other Settings] > [Screen Mode] in the PlayStation® format software menu.
You can now change the screen size by dragging the screen, pinching the screen in, or by pinching the screen out.
When PlayStation® format software is running, touch and hold the screen to display the menu, and then tap [Other Settings] > [Screen Mode] > [Custom] to set a checkmark. Drag the screen, pinch the screen in, or pinch the screen out to adjust the screen size and tap [OK].
Deleting PSP™Game stored content (PSP™Game)
You can now delete screenshots or songs created in PSP™Game software.Enable this feature to delete all the saved content created in each game when you start any PSP™Game.
When PSP™Game software is running, touch and hold the screen to display the menu, and tap the [Delete PSP™Game Stored Content] checkbox to set a checkmark.
- Note that content cannot be deleted individually for each game.
Entering a comment to a friend request
You can now write a comment to send with a friend request.
On your friends list, tap (Options) > [Send Friend Request], enter a comment and the online ID of the person you want to send and then tap [Send].
You can now tweet the currently displayed page.
Sign in to PlayStation®Network on your PS Vita system, tap (Options) > [Tweet]. When you first tap [Tweet], you must select whether you want to use Twitter and enter your account information for Twitter.
Play a video in slow motion
- You can now play a video in slow motion.While the video is playing, you can decrease the playback speed every time you press the button. Press the button until 0.5x speed and press the button to play the video in slow motion.
- You can also use the left stick for this operation.
You can now skip chapters.While a video is playing, tap (Previous (Return to Beginning)) to move to the previous chapter, and tap (Next) to move to the next chapter. If the video does not have chapter information, tapping (Previous (Return to Beginning)) resets the video currently playing to the beginning. Tapping (Next) selects the next video.
- You can also use the L button / R button for this operation. You must tap the (Options) > [Settings] > [Skip with L/R buttons] checkbox and set a checkmark to enable the setting.
Closed caption is now supported.Closed caption is a type of subtitle that describes all sounds in a currently playing video (such as music, sound effects, and conversation) with symbols and letters.
While a video is playing, tap the (Options) > [Settings] > [Accessibility], and then tap the [Display Closed Captions] checkbox to set a checkmark.
Disconnect Wi-Fi Connection Automatically
[Disconnect Wi-Fi Connection Automatically] has been added as a feature under [Network] > [Wi-Fi Settings].
The PS Vita system keeps the Wi-Fi connection in power save mode even when the communication is idle. If you turn this setting on, the Wi-Fi connection is automatically disconnected when a certain length of time passes with no communication taking place.
[Twitter] has been added as a feature under [PlayStation®Network].
If you have a Twitter account, you can configure to tweet from applications that support Twitter.To use this feature, you must be signed in to PlayStation®Network.
- The Twitter name is a trademark of Twitter, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
[PlayStation®Mobile] has been added as a feature under [System].
The PlayStation®Mobile Runtime Package can be updated or deleted.
Tap [Systems] > [PlayStation®Mobile], tap (Options), and then tap [Update] or [Delete]. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation.
Displaying truncated title names
In the lists under (Music) and (Videos), you can now scroll and display truncated title names to view the whole text.
Touch and hold the title names.Slide to left or right while touching and holding to change the scrolling speed.