Support: System Software Updates
PlayStation®3 System Software Version 3.40
Deep Color Output (HDMI)
[Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI)] has been added as an option under (Settings) > (Display Settings). When your system is connected via an HDMI cable, you can set whether to output video using the Deep Color signal by selecting [Automatic] or [Off].
Enable video output using the Deep Color signal if your TV supports this signal.
Disable video output using the Deep Color signal.
- If there is video noise or the colors do not look right when the option is set to [Automatic], set it to [Off].
[Automatic Download] has been added as a feature under (Settings) > (System Settings). Trial versions of games, game update data, video files and the latest system software update data can be automatically downloaded and installed according to the time period you set. This feature is exclusively for use by PlayStation®Plus members.
Set to use the automatic download feature.
Set to not use the automatic download feature.
- After selecting [On], use the directional buttons to select the time period during which you want the system to automatically download the content. If required, follow the on-screen instructions to confirm settings for automatic login to your system under (Users) and automatic sign-in to your Sony Entertainment Network account.
- This feature can be used on only one PS3™ system per Sony Entertainment Network account. When this feature is set to [On] and [Automatic Download] has already been set on another PS3™ system using the same Sony Entertainment Network account, the setting on the other PS3™ system will be automatically set to [Off].
- The PS3™ system must be in standby mode (power indicator is lit solid red) during the time period when you want the system to automatically download the content.
- System software update data will be downloaded automatically but not installed. You must install the system software update data manually.
- is displayed for content that has been automatically downloaded. Any content that has been automatically downloaded and installed but has not been used will be automatically deleted after one month.
- Automatic download will not be performed if the amount of free space on your system’s hard disk is less than 5 GB.
PlayStation®Network Area of Photo Gallery
[PlayStation®Network Area] has been added under (Photo Gallery). You can now use Photo Gallery to browse photos from Facebook or Picasa™ Web Albums. You can also share photos from Photo Gallery with your Friends in PlayStation®Network. To use this feature, you must have a Sony Entertainment Network account as well as an account with Facebook or Picasa™ Web Albums.
Browsing photos on Facebook or Picasa™ Web Albums
- In [Library Area] of Photo Gallery, press the R1 button on the DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller two times.
You will be directed to [PlayStation®Network Area]. The sign-in screen will be displayed if you are not yet signed in to PlayStation®Network.
- Select [Facebook] or [Picasa™ Web Albums], and then enter your account information.
- If you want to enter account information for both Facebook and Picasa™ Web Albums, press the button in [PlayStation®Network Area], and then select (Add Network Service) to enter account information for the other network service.
Uploading a photo
- In [Library Area] or [Playlist Area] of Photo Gallery, select the photo or playlist that you want to upload, and then press the button.
- Select (Upload).
- Select [Facebook] or [Picasa™ Web Albums].
A login screen for the network service will be displayed if you are not already logged in to the service.
- Select the album to which you want to add the photo.
To create a new album, select ［Create New Album］.
- Edit the album information, and then select [Upload].
You can view the uploaded album from [PlayStation®Network Area] of Photo Gallery or by accessing the network service from a Web browser.
Sharing an uploaded album with Friends
- In [PlayStation®Network Area], select the album that you want to share, and then press the button.
- Select [Share This Album].
Edit the message that is displayed, and then select the Friend to whom you want to send the message.
Editing an album
You can edit the title or description of an album.
- In [PlayStation®Network Area], select the album that you want to edit, and then press the button.
- Select (Edit) to edit the album.
Adding comments to a photo
You can add comments to a photo.
- In [PlayStation®Network Area], select the photo that you want to add comments to, and then press the button.
- Select (Comment) to add comments on the screen that is displayed.
- You cannot delete comments for a photo that is viewed in Photo Gallery. To delete comments, access the photo by logging in to Facebook or Picasa™ Web Albums from a Web browser, and then delete the comments.
Printing a photo in Photo Gallery
You can now print a photo in (Photo Gallery).
- Connect a printer to the PS3™ system.
- In (Photo Gallery), select the photo that you want to print, and then press the - button.
- Select Print.
- Check the print settings.
You can press the button to display the options menu. You can adjust settings such as the number of copies to be printed. The settings that are available vary depending on the printer in use.
- To use this feature, you must first set up the printer under (Settings) > (Printer Settings) > [Printer Selection].
- For information about printers that can be used, visit the PlayStation® Knowledge Center
Deleting a photo in Photo Gallery
You can now delete a photo in (Photo Gallery). Select the photo that you want to delete, press the - button, and then select
- The deleted photo is also deleted from your PS3™ system.
Video Editor and Uploader
Using the video editing and uploading feature, you can now edit video content that is saved on your PS3™ system’s hard disk and upload it to a network service (Facebook or YouTube™).
- Video that was saved on your system’s hard disk before updating the system software to version 3.40, copyright-protected video and content set with parental control restrictions cannot be edited or uploaded to a network service.
Editing and uploading video content
- Select (Video) > (Video Editor & Uploader).
When using (Video Editor & Uploader) for the first time, you must download and install software. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation.
- Select (Create New Video).
- Select (Add), and then select the content to be edited.
The video content is added to the list of content items for editing. When the content is added, select [Continue].
- Edit the video.
Using (Edit), you can remove specific scenes or add text (or characters). Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation. You can preview the edited video by selecting .
- Select [Finish].
You can save the edited video content on your system’s hard disk or upload it to a network service. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation.
- By selecting (Add) in step 3, you can continue to add content items and combine them into one video file.
PlayStation®Plus subscription service
The PlayStation®Plus subscription service package is now included on PlayStation®Network.
What is PlayStation®Plus?
PlayStation®Plus is a subscription service package that provides a number of added features to PlayStation®Network. Membership to this service can be purchased from PlayStation®Store. As a PlayStation®Plus member, you can enjoy the following services:
- Receive special discounts and free items from PlayStation®Store.
- Take advantage of pre-sale opportunities.
- Obtain premium avatars and themes.
- Enjoy priority invite privileges to beta testing opportunities for select online games.
- Play some featured full-length games for a limited time prior to purchase.
- Automatically download and install game update data, video files and demo versions of some games.
- Automatically download system software update data.
- Content and types of services available for PlayStation®Plus members vary depending on the country or region where the Sony Entertainment Network account is registered. For details, select here
- For details about the automatic download feature, select here.
You can purchase a PlayStation®Plus subscription service membership* from PlayStation®Store in the same way as you purchase other items. Upon purchase of a PlayStation®Plus subscription, the PlayStation®Plus logo will be displayed next to your avatar in the XMB™ menu, as well as with features or PlayStation®Store content exclusive to PlayStation®Plus.
*Must be 18 years of age or older to purchase a membership.