October 25 2013
PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) GLOBAL SALES SURPASS 2.1 MILLION UNITS FOLLOWING EUROPE, AUSTRALASIA AND LATIN AMERICA LAUNCH
PlayStation®App enables smartphones and tablets to interact with PlayStation®4 systems and offers smooth and easy access to PSNSM features.
Tokyo, October 25, 2013 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced that it will release PlayStation®App, a new application for mobile devices, on November 13, 2013 in North America, and on November 22, 2013 in Europe. PlayStation®App will be available free of charge.
Playstation®App can be downloaded onto various mobile devices, such as iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android™ based smartphones and tablets, from the App Store and Google Play*1. Once installed, these devices can be used as second screens in supported PlayStation®4 (PS4™) titles, and users can easily access PSNSM features such as Friend Lists and Trophies. Furthermore, users will be able to exchange messages with members of their Friends List, and browse through news and information on the official PlayStation® website. PlayStation®App comes with a variety of features that allow users to seamlessly access and enjoy the world of PlayStation®.
The following features are available on PlayStation®App:
- Directly access various PSNSM features and information
- Users can access their own profile screen.
- Users can access/compare their own and friends’Trophy accomplishments.
- Exchange messages between PS4 systems, PlayStation®3 (PS3™) systems, PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) systems, and mobile devices installed with PlayStation®App.
- Access andfilter friend profiles.
- Notify users about their friends’shared activities on “What’s New”.
- Notify PS4 users when they receive any new notifications or game invitations. Users can also display their lists of game items.
- Browse the official PlayStation® website and access information Users can access the PlayStation® official website to browse through news, blogs and game information. The language and content of the website will depend on the country the user’s Sony Entertainment Network account is registered.
- PS4 Second Screen Feature Users can install PlayStation®App on to their mobile devices to use as a second screen in supported games. For example on THE PLAYROOM, a title pre-installed in all PS4 systems that requires PlayStation®Camera, users can draw pictures on their mobile device screens and flick them towards the TV. The images then appear as a 3D object within the game.
- Spectate other PS4 users’ gameplay When users’ friends upload or begin live streaming their gameplay on PS4 systems, the friends’ activities are displayed on “What’s New” of the PlayStation®App screen. When users tap on this notification, they can boot pre-installed applications, such as browsers, to spectate the uploaded gameplay. Users can also post comments on gameplay screenshots, footage and live streams.
- Purchase game content on PlayStation®Store Users can purchase game content*2 while away from home and download it directly onto their PS4, PS3, and PS Vita*3 systems.
- Use a mobile device as a simple remote to control the PS4 system Once installed, users can use their PlayStation®App to control their PS4 system as long as both devices have access to the same Wi-Fi access point. For example, users can switch their PS4 system to standby mode, startup their PS4 system from standby mode, and use their mobile phone as a keyboard for their PS4 system.
SCE will continuously enrich services and features of PS4, while striving to further expand the PlayStation ecosystem.
*1 Depending on the version of OS or device limitation, users may not be able to use the application. PlayStation®App will be displayed according to the mobile device’s resolution.
*2 Video contents cannot be purchased through PlayStation®App.
*3 A User must be a member of PlayStation®Plus to download content directly to a PS Vita system.
# # #
About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes, develops and markets the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system and the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system. SCEI has revolutionized home entertainment since they launched PlayStation in 1994. PlayStation®2 further enhanced the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP® broadens the entertainment experiences into the portable arena. PS3® is an advanced computer system, incorporating the powerful Cell Broadband Engine and RSX processors. PSNSM, that includes PlayStation®Store, delivers unparalleled online gaming experience to PlayStation users. PS Vita is an ultimate portable entertainment system that offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity. SCEI also delivers the PlayStation® experience to open operating systems through PlayStation®Mobile, a cross device platform. PlayStation®4, available this holiday season, is the next generation computer entertainment system that redefines rich and immersive gameplay with powerful graphics and speed, intelligent personalization and deeply integrated social capabilities. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI, along with its affiliated companies, Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC., and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and its division companies, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia develops, publishes, markets and distributes hardware and software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide.
PlayStation and PS3 are registered trademarks. PS4 is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc.
iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch are trademarks of Apple Inc. Android is a trademark or registered trademark of Google.Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
|Back to Top|